Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Discussion Director Chapters 1-5

1. How would you react if yone of you fmaily members was dressed in a uniform representing your enemy?

2. Would you go against your families' beliefs against the Churst of England and fight for the opposing side? Why or why not?

3. How would you feel if your decisions were caught between the brother you look up to and your beliefs of the church(and your father's) regarding the war?

4. Do you think Sam's approach to helping father escape Father escape the fury of the Rebel soldiers was the best way? What could he have done instead?

5. What were you thinking about when Tim was trying to disarm Sam's gun while he was sleeping?

6. Do you think Tim has a desperation to participate based on Sam's opinions and respect? Does thins remind you of a situtation in your life where you felt like this?

1 comment:

  1. 1. If one of my family members was representing an opposing side, I would be afraid to go against our family/ national beliefs. the times held family very high, and I do not believe I would go against my parents.I would not disown my family member, but I would stay true and safe.

    2. I would not fight against my fmaily's beliefs, despite feeling strongly opposed to their opinions. In the time of this book, it was unnatural and utterly disprespectful to go against your parents. If I was alive during this time, I would not stray from my family.

    3. I would feel torn between both sides. However, in today's situations, family's have various political views. I do not feel exactly the same as my parents regarding the war we are in. I could not go against them, though. This may be different if they had the complete opposite view as me, like in this book. It is undoubtedly an awkward position to be in and truly asks a necessity to stand strong on your beliefs.

    4. I think Tim's strategy was smart. The Rebels would not listen to them, but to get Sam to talk sense into them was intelligent. They did not believe that their gun was gone and was being used for their side. Getting the gun and Sam would be great proof.

    5. I was hoping that nothing would go wrong when he was grabbing the gun. I was predicting that Sam would wake up and hurt Tim in protection. Luckily, that did not happen!

    6. I think Tim had a desperation to agree with Sam. This meant working with him in order to gain information for the Rebels. Growing up, everyone looks up to someone. they model their behavior, decisions, and opinions on positive attributes they see in others. I grew up looking up to my cousins. They were just old enough to be "cool" and "successful". Often, I would listen to similar music as them in hopes to join their "adult" conversations. Of course, this was not a serious situation like in the book, but it does show that those close to us do affect our lives.

    ReplyDelete